HostGator was founded back in 2002 by Brent Oxley, a Florida Atlantic University student, and since then has grown into one of the biggest web hosting companies on a world-wide scale. Their current headquarters are in Houston and Austin, Texas, with the addition of several offices around the world.
HostGator is a multiple award-winning company for best web hosting, which you can check out on their official website.
As we mentioned, HostGator is one of the biggest out there, and the reason for that is the vast number of plans and features they have to offer, so anyone can find something to suit them. In the next part of the article we are going to go through some of the plans and features they offer.
Plans and pricing
On the HostGator website, you will find a large number of offers that fit many target groups. Starting from the basic shared hosting, perfect for low to medium traffic websites (small businesses and blogs), up to dedicated hosting, a plan made for business enterprises with very high traffic. So let’s check them out one by one!
Web hosting is the most economical choice, created for new users and smaller websites. It is the most basic shared hosting offer, but you still get some cool user-friendly features. They have three plans to offer you:
- First one is called the Hatching Plan and for $3.95/month (for a 3 year subscription), you get a single domain, unmetered bandwidth and some cool beginner-friendly features like one-click installs and drag-and-drop website builder.
- Second one is the Baby plan, for $5.95/month you also get one-click installs and unmetered bandwidth, but you also get unlimited domains.
- Third is the Business Plan, and with the current discount gives you the best value. For $5.95/month you get all the features from Baby Plan, but you also get free Private SSL & IP and free VoIP Phone service.
The second type of shared hosting is cloud hosting. It is a newer and updated version that dials up the power up to deliver increased reliability and additional features for growing websites. The load time is twice as short and you get 4x more resources. There are three plans for cloud hosting:
- Hatching cloud: for $4.95/month (for a three year subscription) you get a single domain, 2GB of memory and 2 core CPU
- Baby cloud: for $7.95/month (for a three year subscription) you will get unlimited domains , 4GB of memory and 4 core CPU
- Business cloud: for $9.95/month (for a three year subscription) you will get unlimited domains, 6GB of memory, 6 core CPU and free private SSL and IP
WordPress hosting also has a cloud structure, making it really fast, with up to 2.5x faster loading speed, which is pretty fast. The WordPress cloud interface is user-friendly, being very simple to use, having auto-updates and a very easy access to your emails. One of the sweetest offers is free migration; you can transfer up to 3 sites to HostGator for free. There are also three plans for WordPress hosting:
- Starter plan: this might not be the most cost-efficient plan they have to offer, for $5.95/month (for a three year subscription) you get 1 website, up to 25,000 visits per month, 1GB of backups and 50GB of storage.
- Standard plan: this plan probably gives you the most value for your money if you have a medium traffic website. You get 2 website with up to 200,000 visits a month, 2GB of backups and 150GB of storage for $7.95/month (for a three year subscription).
- Business plan: this is also a cost-worthy plan, for $9.95/month you get 3 website with up to 300,000 visits a month, 3GB of backups and unlimited storage.
Reseller hosting allows you to re-sell HostGator resources as your own. You can use your disc space and bandwidth that was provided to you to acquire your own hosting clients and sell your plans for the price you decide on. Their WHM (web host manager) is very simple to use, so you can easily create cPanels for your client. The resources you get are pretty decent, and depending on what you want, you can choose from one of the three plans:
- Aluminum: the cheapest one, you get to re-sell 60GB of disk space, 600GB of bandwidth and unlimited number of domains for $19.95/month. This offer is pretty good if you plan to host a smaller number of people, for example a family business.
- Copper: for $24.95/month you get 90GB of disk space, 900GB of bandwidth and unlimited number of domains.
- Silver: This is probably the best offer for you if you are trying to make some money with web hosting. For the same price of $24.95/month (with a current discount) you get 140GB of disk space, 1400GB of bandwidth and unlimited number of domains.
This Linux-based hosting is for more serious players; with VPS you get a lot of resources for your money. Good thing is that VPS scales up with you as you grow, so you will always have enough resources for your needs and you will never pay for resources you don’t need. With VPS hosting you have nearly limitless options and control available, since you get flexible software options, unlimited domains, sub domains, email addresses, and site development tools with huge number of free design templates. You also have 3 plans to choose from:
- Snappy 2000: in this plan you get 2GB of RAM, 2 cores CPU, 120GB of disc space and 1.5TB of bandwidth for $19.95/month.
- Snappy 4000: seems like the most cost-worthy offer. You will receive 4GB of RAM, 2 cores CPU, 165GB of disc space and 2TB of bandwidth for $29.95/month.
- Snappy 8000: gives you also some good value for your money, especially if you have a high traffic website. For $39.95/month you will receive 8GB of RAM, 4 cores CPU, 240GB of disc space and 3TB of bandwidth.
HostGator offers both Linux and Windows-based dedicated hosting, which is not that common, since Linux dominates the field of web hosting. Starting from $79.00/month, you get some great features for your money. All dedicated servers include cPanel / WHM for total control over your server, plus all necessary tools are included, like the application installers and website building tools. You will also receive for free a Reseller Club Domain Reseller Account and up to 100 free transfers within 30 days of account activation. There are 4 plans HostGator has to offer:
- Basic plan: for $79.00/month you get 4GB RAM, 2 Core CPU, 0.5TB Disk (RAID-1) and 10 TB of bandwidth.
- Standard plan: for $89.00/month you get 4GB RAM, 4 Core CPU, 1TB Disk (RAID-1) and 15TB of bandwidth.
- Elite plan: for $109.00/month you get 8GB RAM, 4 Core CPU, 1TB Disk (RAID-1) and 20TB of bandwidth.
- Pro plan: this is the most HostGator has to offer, it’s perfect for large businesses and enterprises with very high traffic. With this plan you get 16GB RAM, 4 Core CPU, 1TB Disk (RAID-1) and 25TB of bandwidth for $128.99/month. The extra RAM is nice, and shortens you load time for quite a lot.
HostGator, on their official website offers you to register, manage and transfer your domains. With every domain you register you get some nice free features, like domain locking, which prevents your domain from being hijacked, domain auto-renew and easy to use domain control panel. Price range for registering new domains is from $1 to around $15, which you can check on their website.
Features and value
We have already mentioned most of the cool features earlier in this review, so we are only going to mention several more things that HostGator has to offer:
- 45-day money back guarantee: in this field 30-days money back is pretty standard, so extra 15 days to choose if HostGator is right for you is a pretty nice touch.
- Free advertisement credits: this is a very nice bonus for boosting traffic on your website; HostGator offers you $100 Google AdWords and $100 worth of Yahoo/Bing credits.
- HostGator website builder is a free drag-and-drop building tool that makes building websites easy even for the less experienced. It offers a huge selection of themes, so you can design your own website in no time. Templates are also mobile-friendly, so your website is going to look amazing on any smartphone or tablet.
- Another beginner-friendly tool is the Quickinstall tool. It’s available on every Web Hosting plan, and it allows you to create any type of website (blog, forum, photo gallery, CMS ecommerce store) without any trouble.
- “Upgrades” – HostGator offers some extra protection for your website with Code Guard, which is basically a system that does daily backups and allows you to restore your website if it crashes or something goes wrong with it. Second cool upgrade is SiteLock, your protection against malware. SiteLock scans daily for malware and automatically removes it. Third is SSL Certificate, another great feature that will improve customer confidence in your website. SSL reduces the chances for risky client data to get stolen from your website, so this makes a perfect upgrade for someone looking to set up an online store.
There are a lot of ways you can get what you need on HostGator’s website. On their Support Portal you can find links to all kinds of helpful information on their help articles and forums and also video tutorials, as they post regularly on their website and on their official YouTube channel.
You can also contact their customer support 24/7/365 via email, online chat, or you can call their toll free number. You will get a quick response, from their award winning staff.
Pros and Cons
HostGator offers something for everyone. HostGator has a vast span of offers, so whatever you need, HostGator can most likely provide it to you.
HostGator uses the latest cPanel software so you have a lot of options to explore, including creating and organizing ecommerce shopping carts.
A 45-day money back guarantee gives you enough time to try out HostGator and make sure that their service suits your needs.
24/7/365 support is available for you via online written and video tutorials, live chat with their staff or by phone.
There are a lot of free features that HostGator gives you in with their hosting plans, such as unlimited disk and bandwidth, a free website builder and website building tools with more than 4,000 website templates and much more.
Most of the cons are cost-related.
For example, the prices you see on their website are only for three year subscriptions, for shorter periods of time prices are much steeper. So they are trying to force you to commit to them for a longer period of time.
Other thing that we noticed are that cheaper plans for certain types of hosting are not that particularly good, so if you want something more cost-worthy you will have to buy something more expensive.
So, can anyone find something for themselves with HostGator? Well, probably yes. From cloud hosting for small businesses and WordPress hosting which is perfect for blogs, to VPS and dedicated hosting which is great for growing and large companies. So if you are ready to commit for a longer period of time to a web host and little extra money is not an issue, HostGator is a good company for you that will provide you with you might need.