Best VPS Hosting Services (2018)
Choosing proper hosting is not that hard, if you know what to look for. The main thing here is to ask yourself this question: “How big is my website right now, and how fast will it grow?” Be honest with yourself. The answer will tell you what type of hosting you need. You can worry about advanced features and little details later.
There are three main types of hosting:
- Shared hosting – the cheapest solution, works best for the most basic blogs, and informative websites. You share resources of the same server with other users, so it is a very economical solution. But, it has limited performance, as all those websites drain each other’s data and hardware. If you have a website that attracts more traffic, you need something better.
- Dedicated server – this is for the big boys. You will get the full, unleashed power of a single server, only for yourself. No other websites are crowded on the same hardware to leech your power away. This is the best solution for huge websites that attract thousands of visitors every day, and have hundreds of pages. But, this level of performance costs, and it costs a lot. Dedicated servers are a big investment, and unless you absolutely need one, don’t waste your money.
- VPS hosting – the third solution is the middle solution. It stands between shared hosting and dedicated servers, both in price and in performance. Virtual Private Servers (VPS) give you much more power than shared hosting, and they are able to carry a very large, and growing website, or an ecommerce store without any problems. But, they are far cheaper than dedicated servers, and will not impact your budget that much. With VPS you get a number of CPU cores, RAM, storage, bandwidth, etc. reserved only for your website. This means that you have that amount guaranteed only to be used by your website, resulting in stable performance.
VPS are the most balanced solution of all three. They are not as cheap as shared hosting, but they will give you so much more. They offer enough flexibility and will run almost any site without any problems. This is why we strongly recommend them, we think they offer the best value.
We will now explain some key features that every VPS needs to have.
Stay with us.
Features of a Good VPS Hosting Plan
There are many things to consider, but roughly speaking, these are the key features that are important for any good hosting provider:
- Price – this one is the simplest. Your budget will determine what you can, and what you can’t afford. But, this does not mean that you should always go for the cheapest plan. Try to be wiser, and balance it out a bit. It is good to save money, but it is also good to get some extra options. Maybe that more expensive plan has more marketing credits, or a better security system, or maybe they offer premium support with it. Don’t try to get something you can’t afford, but choose wisely among the things you can.
- Speed and uptime – you want your website to be up all the time. After all, this is probably the number one reason why you are paying for it to be hosted. You want a host that has a guaranteed uptime of 99.9% or better. This will ensure your website stays up, no matter what. Pick a host that has power backups, and good data center security systems, so nothing can go wrong. You also want to pick a host that has built their systems by using only the latest technology. This will ensure maximum performance. Fast websites leave users happy, but also make Google happy too; they will be higher in the search results.
- Security – you want your website’s server to be safe from any harm, both physical, and virtual. Fire detection systems, UPS, backup generators, constant surveillance combined with anti-malware/spam/DDOS attacks will make it safe both from accidents and from hacker attacks.
- Support – unexpected things happen. But, when you have a team of professionals covering your back, ready to help, nothing seems like a problem. You want a hosting provider with a support team that responds quickly. Also, try to find support teams that offer free migration, free and regular backups. Great website with lively forums is also important. And a lengthy money back guarantee is always nice.
- VPS specific features – access your website’s needs, and get a plan accordingly. You want to have enough muscle to handle everything (CPU, RAM, storage, bandwidth) but also try not to go too far, because if you don’t use everything you paid for, you are wasting your money. Also, if you are not good with tech, you want to get a VPS that has 24/7 maintenance done for you. Preferably free of charge.
Best VPS Hosting Providers
Now we will present you with three hosting options that meet all the criteria, to make your life easier. Choose any of these, and you will be more than happy.
InMotion, a privately owned company is around for a while, and it has become one of the biggest hosting providers out there. If your main concern is speed, InMotion is the right choice for you.
Websites running on InMotion servers are much faster than competition; up to 67% actually. The main reason behind this is technology. InMotion has a superb data center. Only the latest components from biggest manufacturers go into their servers, so no desktop-level parts. All their servers are custom built, and they spend millions of dollars each year to upgrade them. Results are visible, both in speed and in uptime. InMotion has a guaranteed 99.9% uptime, but goes over that, and it is usually around 99.97%. Much better than the average.
Now about the VPS plans. All InMotion VPS plans have free maintenance, so no need to worry about doing it yourself, or paying somebody else to do it for you. Also, one of the reasons why InMotion has super-fast servers is free SSD; you will get it in every VPS plan. There are other benefits too: you will get unlocked cores (meaning you are not limited to a specific number of cores), cPanel interface, and free backup. These are the plans:
- VPS-1000HA-S – for $29.99/month, it will give you 4 GB RAM, 75 GB SSD storage and 4 TB of monthly bandwidth for 3 IP addresses.
- VPS-2000HA-S – this is a middle solution, probably with the best value of all three. For $49.99/mo you will get 6 GB RAM, 150 GB SSD, 5 TB of bandwidth and 4 IP addresses.
- VPS-3000HA-S – this is the best plan, and the most expensive one; $75.99/mo. It has 8 GB RAM, 260 GB SSD, 6 TB bandwidth and 5 IP addresses.
One of the key selling points of InMotion is their support. It is probably the best in business. They act fast, and they are in-house based. A highly trained team of engineers will solve any problem you might have. Also, their website is filled with useful information, and you will be able to find everything yourself, if that is your preferred method.
All in all, InMotion is an excellent hosting provider. It has flexibility, speed, reliability and is full of features. And they offer a very long guarantee; 90 days, much better than the industry’s average.
HostGator is one of the biggest hosting providers in the industry. It deserved its reputation, and the trust of millions; more than 9 million domains are hosted on their servers.
Speaking of servers, HostGator takes good care of them. They are monitoring them 24/7, and their data centers are restricted areas, only for authorized personnel. Their custom built servers have the latest smoke and fire detection systems, and also power backups. All this guarantees excellent uptime, 99% guaranteed. And with HostGator, everything is transparent, you can check the server status yourself at any time, using the RSS feed provided on their website.
HostGator has 3 excellent VPS plans:
- Snappy 2000 – has 2 GB RAM, 2 cores, 120 GB storage, and 1.5 TB bandwidth, all for $19.95.
- Snappy 4000 – is the best valued plan as it offers 2 cores, 4 GB RAM, 165 GB storage, and 2 TB bandwidth, all for $29.99.
- Snappy 8000 – is their premium plan, and has 4 CPU cores, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB storage and 3 TB bandwidth, and it will cost you $39.95/mo.
It is important to note that HostGator uses only the best hardware for their servers, from branded manufacturers (all are Intel/AMD powered). Also, everything is unlimited; domains, subdomains, email addresses, email storage. They do weekly backups, off-site. And if you are into technical stuff, you will appreciate full root access.
HostGator has an excellent website, and a lively community, which is to be expected since it has so many users. Their support is superb, and easy to reach, around the clock. You can reach them by phone, email or chat.
HostGator has a solid 45 day money-back guarantee, so there is no reason not to try this great hosting provider yourself.
BlueHost is the number one hosting provider recommended by WordPress. This is important even if you are not using WP, since it is a really big company, and they would not put their reputation on the line with bad recommendations.
BlueHost has many great features, but their number one selling point is security. They take good care of both their servers, and your data. All servers are custom built from scratch, and the whole data center is carefully designed. They have power backups, diesel generators and UPS ready, just in case of an emergency. This makes sure that everything stays online, and their 99.9% uptime will guarantee that. Also, they do a good job protecting your data from internet attacks; anti-malware/spam/DDOS protection, everything is in place to keep you safe. They also do frequent backups, so even if something malicious does leak through, you will be able to restore it back to normal.
Now about BlueHost VPS plans:
- Standard – $19.95/mo and has a dual core CPU, 30 GB SSD storage, 2 GB RAM and 1 domain with 1 IP address.
- Enhanced plan – $29.99/mo and has a dual core CPU, 60 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM and 1 domain with 2 IP addresses.
- Ultimate plan- $59.99/mo and has a quad core CPU, 120 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM and 1 domain with 4 IP addresses.
So very affordable pricing, with some feature rich plans. It is good to mention that every VPS plan has unlimited traffic, so if you have a website that gets a lot of visitors, BlueHost is definitely for you.
And if you get stuck, no worries, the BlueHost support team is at your disposal, 24/7. Also, they have a very useful website, filled with tutorials and how-to videos, and a lively community where you can share your experiences with other users.
Try BlueHost yourself. They offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, you will have enough time to test everything.
If you have decided to pick VPS hosting, you have made a smart choice. This is a balanced solution that will not cost you too much, but will offer a lot. A much better solution than a basic shared plan, but a much cheaper solution than an overpriced dedicated server. It is an excellent choice for most businesses.
We have offered you three great examples: BlueHost, InMotion, and HostGator. All three meet all the important criteria. They are super safe, affordable, have good support, and long guarantees. Which one you choose is up to you, but choosing any of them is the right choice, no doubt about that.