Best Magento Web Hosting Services (2018)
Magento is the real deal. This enterprise level software is for more advanced users, and not the best option for beginners since it requires manual coding and setting up. But, once mastered, it offers a lot.
If you have anything to do with eBay, Magento is for you, since it is owned by that eCommerce giant. It is needless to say that Magento is fully integrated with eBay. This software offers you an unmatched level of customization, provided that you have the technical skills to leash it properly.
But, building a great looking Magento store is one thing, making it work flawlessly is another. For that, you will need proper hosting.
What Type of Hosting for a Magento Store?
There are three main types of hosting: shared, Virtual Private Server, and dedicated.
- Shared hosting is the most basic, and the cheapest. Your website shares the server resources with other websites. A good solution for only the most basic, informative websites. For growing stores? Not enough. The added traffic will cripple the performance.
- What about dedicated servers? They are super awesome. Full power unleashed, only for your website. No sharing, all for you. But it comes with a hefty price. Not only that, but it is most likely waste of money, as only the biggest websites actually need dedicated hosting. Don’t go ahead of yourself and pretend you are something you are not. Your website does not need a dedicated server, yet.
- VPS? A perfect solution for eCommerce Magento websites. Much more powerful than shared hosting, so it will be able to handle the traffic your store attracts. And it will not drain your whole budget, it costs far less than a dedicated server, allowing you to invest your money elsewhere.
Now you know the ideal type of hosting for Magento eCommerce. You are wondering how to pick one for your needs?
Choosing VPS Hosting for Magento
Hosting providers offer different more or less useful things, but they can all fall under these three important categories:
- Uptime and Speed – you want your website to be available all the time. Nothing erases your reputation faster than a faulty website. 99.9% or better uptime is what you want, so cross out any host that can’t guarantee it. Also, you want your website to be smooth, so choose a hosting provider that is known for fast websites.
- Features and price – naturally, you want as many features for as little money as possible. Unfortunately, providing hosting is a serious business, and hosting providers are not stupid. They will offer you some really cheap plans, but those are also some really limited plans. Also, sometimes their best plans are cheaper than expected, and you would think that if you get those, you are saving money. Reality is that you are probably wasting it, since you bought resources you won’t use. Be smart, and get a balanced plan, that fits your website’s needs and size perfectly. Less is more, as you can upgrade it any time, if you find the current plan lacking.
- Security and support – stores involve money, and security is essential. Your customers need to be and feel safe, so host your website on a platform that is known for its security. Get software solutions such as SSH, SSL, anti-malware/spam/DDOS, but also hardware such as UPS, backup generators, fire detection, etc. And get a hosting provider with a good support team, you never known what can happen, and you might need help.
VPS servers let you reserve a portion of a single server; a number of CPU cores, amount of RAM, storage, bandwidth, etc. These are meant only for your website, and will guarantee performance even in those traffic spikes (enter Black Friday). The more you pay, the more you get. But try not to overestimate your needs.
The Best Magento VPS Hosting Providers
We will now give you three excellent hosting providers. Their VPS plans are affordable, but feature rich. Also, they are all eCommerce optimized, and perfect for your Magento web store.
These are the best of the best when it comes to Magento hosting:
One of the most popular hosting providers in the industry, HostGator has more than 9 million domains on their servers. They are in business for a while, and have a proven track record. The number of users who trust them with their websites speaks for itself.
HostGator takes hosting the right way; seriously. They have custom build the datacenter. And it is a technology marvel. They have more than 10,000 servers, and still they maintain 99.9% uptime. HostGator does this by using the latest technology, but also by securing their servers physically. Access is restricted, and everything is monitored 24/7. They have advanced fire detection, and power backup systems, just in case.
HostGator has three VPS plans. Magento users, who are technically advanced most of the time, will appreciate full root access HostGator gives. Magento + full root access gives unimaginable variations, and will offer you unmatched level of customization. Also, every HostGator VPS plan has unlimited domains and subdomains, unlimited email addresses, FTP accounts and private nameserver. And to keep everything safe, they do weekly off-site backups:
- Snappy 2000 – $19.95/mo- you will have 2 GB RAM, 2 CPU cores, 120 GB disk space and 1.5 TB bandwidth
- Snappy 4000 – $29.95/mo 4 GB RAM, 2 CPU cores, 165 GB disk space, 2 TB bandwidth
- Snappy 8000 – $39.95/mo, 8 GB RAM, 4 CPU cores, 240 GB disk space, 3 TB bandwidth.
HostGator has an award-winning support team. Their team of engineers is at your disposal 24/7, and you can reach them by phone, chat and email. The HostGator website is also great, with lively forums, filled with tutorials and how to videos.
Try HostGator, they have a 45-day money-back guarantee.
If you are looking for a hosting provider that has the best uptime, fastest servers and terrific support, pick InMotion.
Websites hosted on InMotion run up to 67% faster than those hosted on competition. This is not only good for your customer’s satisfaction, it will also put your store higher on the search list. Google loves reliable and responsive websites. How does InMotion make this speed possible? By frequent upgrades. They invest millions, every year, to keep their servers updated with only the latest technology. 99.97% uptime proves that the investment is paying off.
InMotion’s support team, Premiere support, is in-house based. This makes solving problems super-fast. You can reach them 24/7, and can expect them to solve any problem you may encounter. InMotion has a great website too, with a knowledge base filled with videos and tutorials. InMotion support also offers free site migration, unlike many other hosting providers who charge for this option.
InMotion has 3 VPS plans:
- The cheapest one, for $29.99/mo offers 4 GB RAM, 75 GB storage, 4 TB bandwidth, and 3 IP addresses
- For a little more, $49.99/mo you will get a lot more- 6 GB RAM, 150 GB storage, 5 TB bandwidth and 4 IP addresses.
- Their biggest plan costs $74.99/mo, and offers 8 GB RAM, 260 GB storage, 6 TB bandwidth, and 6 IP addresses.
Every VPS plan InMotion offers will give you free SSD, cPanel interface, unlocked CPU cores, and free server management. One less thing to worry about.
On top of all this, InMotion has a generous money-back guarantee; 90 days.
If safety is your main concern, pick BlueHost. It is known as one of the safest hosts in the industry. It is also the number one hosting company recommended by WordPress, so you know it’s good.
BlueHost offers many advanced security tools. These include Spam Assassin, Spam Experts, Spam Hammer, so definitely no spam problems with sites hosted on BlueHost. Also, CloudFlare will stop those dangerous DDOS attacks, keeping your website’s resources intact. And if you need SSH, hotlink protection and IP blacklists, BlueHost has them all. Also, their custom build datacenters have power backups and diesel generators, so even if something really unpredictable happens, their servers will keep running.
BlueHost has three VPS plans with affordable prices, that are managed 24/7:
- Standard plan – costs $19.95/mo. It offers a dual-core CPU, 30 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM, unlimited bandwidth, one domain with one IP address.
- Enhanced plan – $29.99/mo- dual core, 60 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM, unlimited bandwidth 1 domain with 2 IP addresses.
- Ultimate plan – $59.99/mo- quad core CPU, 120 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, unlimited bandwidth, 1 domain, 2 IP addresses.
Also, the BlueHost support team is one of the best in business. They are trained not only to resolve issues, but also to give you advice in help. Since it is one of the bigger providers, they have a lively community, with active forums filled with useful manuals, tutorials and how-to videos.
We encourage you to try BlueHost yourself. You will have enough time to test it out, their VPS plans have 30-day money-back guarantee.
Running a successful store is not easy, there are so many factors. But, starting on a solid foundation is actually easy; just pick the proper host.
We have explained you the benefits of VPS over other hosting types. We have told you the key features to look for when browsing VPS hosting plans. And we have given you three great examples.
BlueHost, InMotion and HostGator, they all have perfect VPS hosting plans for Magento eCommerce. Rest assured, you will get everything you need to run a successful store, from any of these three. They are so secure, fast and reliable, that you can practically pick between them blindfolded. All three are true leaders in the VPS hosting industry.