Best Joomla Web Hosting Services (2018)
Joomla is a good choice. Not too complicated like Drupal, but yet, much more advanced than WordPress. It is a perfect, middle solution when it comes to CMS. It will allow you deep customization, but will not require too much learning and getting used to. So if WordPress is too rudimental for your taste, but you find Drupal overly challenging, Joomla is the perfect answer for you.
Is Shared Hosting the Right Option for You?
There is no strict answer, but probably it is. It is the right option for people who are just starting out with their website.
Why you may wonder? Because it is by far the cheapest hosting option.
There are three major categories in the hosting world: shared, dedicated and VPS hosting.
- Shared hosting is the least powerful, but yet, the most affordable option. You get to share resources of a single server with other users and that is why it’s called shared. As you have probably guessed, your website’s performance is limited by others, and vice versa.
- If you need pure power, dedicated server is an option. You get the full power of a server only for your website, so no sharing. But, this comes at a very high price. Not only that, but it is often times unnecessary. Only the biggest websites that attract enormous amounts of traffic and have hundreds of pages need dedicated servers. Beginners certainly don’t fall in this category, so don’t even think about it.
- VPS stands in the middle (kind of like Joomla!). You get more power and customization with a virtual private server than with shared hosting, but you pay far less than for a dedicated server. Why not skip grades and go straight to VPS? Well because skipping grades is too risky. VPS is much cheaper than dedicated, but it is far more expensive than shared hosting. And for beginners, every dollar counts, especially when you can reinvest it elsewhere.
Going for shared hosting is a safe option. Not only will it save you money, but it might actually prove sufficient. And if you find it lacking, you can upgrade any time you want, and get VPS/dedicated/cloud hosting.
Choosing the Best Joomla Shared Hosting
Few things to look for:
- Uptime – the most essential stat. It tells you about server status history, its present and its future. This number will tell you the guaranteed amount of uptime your website will get when it’s hosted on that hosting provider. Never go below 99.9%! Even 0.1% is a huge difference, you want your website to be easily reached all the time.
- Speed – you also want a responsive website, that won’t lag. Choose a provider with superb technology that can guarantee highest speeds.
- Security – find a hosting provider with secure data centers, inside and out. Fire detection systems, power backups, surveillance to guarantee server integrity. And software protection; anti malware, spam, DDOS attack protection, to keep those hackers at bay.
- Support – when things don’t go as planned, you want a team of experts to give you a helping hand. Pick a hosting provider that is known for offering great support that responds fast.
- Price – shared hosting is cheap, but still, there are differences. However, think twice before going for the cheapest option. It will save you some money, but you might find it missing some key features you may need.
To make life easier for you, we will now present 3 hosting providers that have excellent uptime and speed with advanced security and a well-trained support staff. All three are also affordable and have competitive pricing. You will not go wrong if you decide to pick one of these three for your Joomla website.
InMotion is in the web hosting game for more than twenty years, and it is one of the veterans of the industry. And for all these years it has remained a leader. People trust them too, as they have more than 300,000 domains hosted on their servers.
What makes InMotion good? Constant innovations. They invest heavily, millions of dollars every year, refreshing their servers with only the latest components, making top performance a priority. And it really shows; you can expect your website to run up to 40% faster, if you decide to host it on InMotion.
InMotion has three shared plans. Every one of these has free SSD, unlimited disk space, bandwidth, email accounts, and email storage. You can also use their free website builder, will have SSL/SSH access, spam and malware protection. Also, you will get $250 worth of marketing credits. However, there are differences too:
- The cheapest one, Launch, will cost you $5.99/mo. It offers two MySQL & PostgreSQL Databases, can support 2 websites with 6 parked domains and 25 subdomains.
- Power plan costs the same, making it the best value, and will give you even more. You can have 50 MySQL & PostgreSQL Databases, 6 websites with 26 parked domains and 100 subdomains. Also, the Power plan is eCommerce ready, so you can set up an online store on your website.
- Pro plan costs $8.99/mo. It is the best one, as it offers unlimited databases, websites, domains and subdomains. It also gives eCommerce options, as well as premium support.
InMotion has one of the best support teams in the industry, called Premier support. You can reach them by phone, live chat, email, online tutorials, and community based Q&A.
If all this is not enough to choose InMotion for hosting your Joomla website, check this out; InMotion has one of the longest money back guarantee in the hosting industry, 90 days! You are completely risk free, and we invite you to test InMotion yourself.
HostGator is one of the biggest companies in the web hosting industry, and you have probably heard about it already. It has more than 9 million domains hosted.
With so many people trusting HostGator with their websites, there is a lot at stake. HostGator made sure nothing ever goes wrong, by building a futuristic data center. All their 10,000 servers are kept ultra-safe, and are monitored 24/7 with restricted access. They also have advanced fire detection and power backup systems. This shows in great uptime, which you can see yourself, on their website server status RSS feed.
HostGator has 3 shared plans: Basic, Essentials and Pro. Each has unmetered bandwidth and disk space, instant backups, unlimited subdomains and FTP accounts, and unlimited databases. You also get unlimited email accounts with Spam Assassin.
- Their Basic plan costs $3.95/mo. has one domain, with no add on (parked) domains. It also has no dedicated IP, nor private SSL. For that you need to get a better plan.
- Their Essentials plan offers a bit more. For $5.95/mo you will get private SSL allowed, unlimited domains and parked domains, and plus everything their basic plan has to offer.
- The best value comes from their Pro plan. It upgrades the Essentials plan, for the same price. It will give you free dedicated IP, free private SSL, and anonymous FTP.
HostGator is known for its award winning support. You can reach them 24/7, and they will not keep you waiting. It also has a lively community.
Interested? Test it out yourself. HostGator offers a 45 day money-back guarantee.
BlueHost is the number one hosting company recommended by WordPress. And if those giants vouch for it, BlueHost must be good, not only for WordPress websites, but as a hosting provider in general.
One of the keys to its popularity is safety. Websites hosted on BlueHost are super-safe from DDOS, malware, spam. And BlueHost does backup frequently, on daily, weekly and monthly basis, so if something unpredictable does happen, you can always revert it back.
BlueHost has three shared plans:
- Basic – $3.49/mo. You can host 1 website, with 50 GB website space. Bandwidth is unmetered. You can have unlimited number of domains, with 5 parked domains and 25 subdomains. You can make 5 email accounts, with 100 MB storage per account.
- Plus – $5.45/mo. With Plus plan you get to host unlimited number of websites with unmetered storage, bandwidth, and unlimited number of domains, parked domains and subdomains. You will also get $200 worth of marketing credits and a spam expert.
- Prime – $5.95/mo will build on top of Plus plan, and will include everything it has to offer plus SiteBackup Pro.
BlueHost support is something else. Everything is based in-house, which makes sure that all is under control and easily accessible all the time. You can reach them 24/7 by email, phone, chat, or an extensive knowledge base. Their in-house based team of engineers will offer professional help, and solve any problem.
BlueHost is worth trying out. Especially because there are no risks, since they offer 30 day money-back guarantee.
Shared hosting is a great start for any website, and Joomla is no different. It offers all the essential tools for a beginner website.
No need to rush anything, if your website outgrows shared hosting, you can upgrade at any time. Most hosting providers will do the upgrade for you, with zero downtime.
In this article we have presented three great hosting companies. BlueHost, InMotion, HostGator, they are all fine choices. Different in their own way, all have unique strengths. But, they are the leaders in the hosting industry, and you can pick between them with your eyes closed, without making a mistake.